If you’re wondering what cheese to serve with shrimp, you’ve come to the right place.
I’ve gathered 10 of the best cheeses to pair with shrimp, whether you’re making a shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi, or just grilling some shrimp skewers.
From a sharp cheddar to a creamy brie, there’s a cheese here for everyone.
So get ready to impress your guests with this delicious and easy seafood appetizer.
What Cheese Goes with Shrimp? 10 Best Cheeses
Something magical happens when you pair shrimp with the right cheese.
It’s like the difference between listening to a song on your phone and listening to it on a high-end stereo system.
The right cheese can enhance the flavor of the shrimp and make the experience that much better.
Here are 10 of the best cheeses to eat with shrimp:
1. Sharp Cheddar
Sharp cheddar tends to have a bite (often an acidic zing) to its flavor which is cut beautifully by the sweetness of shrimp.
Adding the two together creates a perfect balance of flavors that will have your taste buds jump for joy.
- Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup – This childhood favorite is taken to new heights when sharp cheddar is used in place of your standard yellow variety. The zing of the cheese pairs perfectly with the acidity of the tomato soup. Add in some hearty shrimp and you have a meal that is sure to please any crowd.
- Shrimp Scampi – This dish is traditionally made with butter, garlic, white wine, and lemon juice; but adding in some sharp cheddar takes it to a whole new level. The cheese helps to thicken the sauce and gives it a beautiful creamy texture.
- Deviled Shrimp – These little bites are perfect for parties or as an appetizer for dinner. Sharp cheddar gives the mayo-based sauce a wonderful flavor that is sure to be a hit with your guests.
No matter how you choose to pair them, shrimp and sharp cheddar is a match made in heaven. So go ahead and give it a try!
Gruyère is known for its rich, creamy, salty, and nutty taste, making it one of the most versatile cheese for cooking.
Here are three ways to pair gruyère with shrimp:
- In a shrimp and grits dish – The sharpness of the Gruyère cuts through the richness of the dish and amplifies the flavors of the shrimp.
- As a topping on a shrimp salad – The Gruyère adds a nice crunch and works well with the other flavors in the salad.
- In a shrimp scampi dish – The Gruyère adds a creaminess and depth of flavor that compliments the other ingredients in the dish.
Parmesan is rich, tangy, nutty, sharp, complex, and a little salty— everything that shrimp need in a partner!
There are many ways to incorporate parmesan into shrimp dishes.
One of the most popular is to bread the shrimp in grated parmesan before frying, baking, or sautéing.
This adds flavor and a crisp crunch to the exterior of the shrimp.
If you’re looking for a lighter version, try mixing Parmesan into the breadcrumbs.
Another great way to use Parmesan with shrimp is by making a flavorful sauce or compound butter to top cooked shrimp.
For example, a classic beurre blanc (white wine butter sauce) gains an extra depth of flavor when Parmesan is stirred into it.
Or, try whisking Parmesan into a garlic-infused olive oil for a quick and easy dipping sauce.
For compound butter, simply mix softened butter with grated Parmesan, lemon juice, and chopped fresh herbs.
This mixture can be used to top grilled or roasted shrimp, pasta dishes, or potatoes.
Gouda usually has a rich, nutty, caramelly taste that makes it a great all-around cheese to have on hand, but it also works especially well with shrimp.
Try pairing it with a honey glazed shrimp recipe for a nice sweetness, or toss some shredded Gouda on top of garlic shrimp for a cheesy, savory dish.
Here are a few other great recipes that pair Parmesan with shrimp:
- Parmesan Crusted Shrimp: A classic shrimp scampi recipe with a crispy, cheesy twist.
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo: A traditional Italian dish with a kick of spice.
- Spicy Parmesan Shrimp and Broccoli: A one-pan meal that’s perfect for a busy weeknight.
Brie is rich, buttery and fruity, while shrimp is delicate, sweet and briny.
Together, they make a perfect match!
- My favorite way to enjoy shrimp and brie is on a baguette with a simple salad of greens and cherry tomatoes. The savory shrimp, creamy brie and crusty bread are heavenly together.
- Another delicious way to enjoy these two ingredients is in a creamy pasta dish. The brie adds a rich creaminess to the dish, while the shrimp provides a delightful sweetness and pop of color.
- If you’re looking for something a little lighter, try pairing shrimp and brie on top of a bed of greens. The contrast of the fresh greens with the rich brie and sweet shrimp is irresistible.
- And for an elegant appetizer, try wrapping each shrimp in a slice of brie then baking until golden brown. These cheesy shrimp bites are always a hit!
Feta is known for being salty, but when paired with the right ingredients, it can be a real show stopper.
I’ve found that one of my favorite ways to use feta is in combination with shrimp.
Here are a few of my favorite recipes using these two ingredients:
- Shrimp and Feta Stuffed Peppers: This is a light and healthy recipe that is perfect for a summer meal. The sweetness of the shrimp pairs perfectly with the salty feta and tangy peppers.
- Shrimp and Feta Skewers: These are perfect for throwing on the grill! The feta helps to keep the shrimp from drying out, andinfuses them with flavor.
- Shrimp Pasta with Feta: This is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is packed with flavor. The pasta helps to tone down the saltiness of the feta, and the shrimp add a lovely sweetness.
7. Goat Cheese
Goat Cheese comes with a a mild, earthy, buttery but tart flavor to it.
It’s a very versatile cheese, it can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
I like to use it in my baking, as well as on salads and in pasta dishes.
As for shrimp, they are a delicate, light seafood that can be easily overcooked.
But when cooked properly, they are definitely a delicious addition to any meal.
I tend to either roast or grill them, and then add them to whatever I’m making.
Now that we know a little bit more about these two ingredients, let’s get into some of my favorite ways to pair them together!
- Goat Cheese and Shrimp Crostini: This is a classic appetizer that is always a hit. Simply toast some baguette slices, top with goat cheese and grilled or roasted shrimp. You can also add a sprinkle of herbs like thyme or basil for extra flavor.
- Goat Cheese and Shrimp Pasta: This dish is healthy and flavorful. I like to use whole wheat pasta, but you can use whatever type you like best. Just cook the pasta according to package instructions, then sauté shrimp with garlic and olive oil. Add in some fresh arugula or spinach leaves, then toss with the pasta and crumbled goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Goat Cheese and Roasted Shrimp Salad: For this salad, I simply roast shrimp with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Once they’re cooked through, add them to a salad of your choice along with crumbled goat cheese on top. I love using baby greens, cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced red onions in my salad, but you can really add whatever ingredients you like best.
Fresh ricotta has a mild, slightly nutty taste that pairs well with a variety of ingredients.
One of my personal favorite combinations is shrimp and ricotta.
The sweetness of the shrimp complements the creaminess of the ricotta perfectly.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use these two ingredients together:
- Ricotta and grilled shrimp: Top grilled shrimp with a dollop of ricotta and a squeeze of lemon for a light and healthy summertime meal.
- Ricotta and shrimp pasta: Toss cooked pasta with ricotta, cooked shrimp, and your favorite veggies for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- Shrimp tacos with ricotta: Mix ricotta with lime juice and chopped cilantro, then use it as a flavorful taco filling along with grilled or sautéed shrimp.
- Ricotta toast with shrimp: Spread ricotta on toast, then top with cooked shrimp, avocado, and diced tomatoes for a satisfying appetizer or light meal.
Mozzarella comes with milky, grassy, and floral notes that can very easily be brought out by the right ingredients.
When it comes to finding a good pairing for shrimp, I often like to go with something that is bright and acidic to help cut through the richness of the cheese.
Some of my favorite combinations include:
- Shrimp and Mozzarella with a simple tomato sauce
- Shrimp and Mozzarella with pesto
- Shrimp, Mozzarella, and avocado salad
- Grilled shrimp skewers with Mozzarella balls
These are just a few of the endless possibilities when it comes to shrimp and Mozzarella pairings
10. Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese has a very subtle flavor (and a little salty taste), which is why it goes so well with shrimp.
The two complement each other perfectly, and there are endless possibilities when it comes to dishes you can make using these two ingredients.
Some of my favorite ways to use shrimp and cottage cheese together include:
- adding them to a salad (this is a great way to get some extra protein in your diet)
- making a wrap or sandwich with them
- including them in a pasta dish or stir fry
- serving them as appetizers (wrapped in wonton wrappers and fried, for example)
If you’re looking for a healthy, yet delicious and satisfying meal, look no further than shrimp and cottage cheese!
What Cheese Goes with Shrimp Cocktail?
The best cheese to serve with shrimp cocktail is a soft, mild cheese like brie or Camembert. You can also go for a stronger cheese like Parmesan or aged cheddar. If you want something more unique, try a blue cheese like Gorgonzola or Roquefort.
What Cheese Goes with Shrimp Salad?
Some of the best cheeses to use in shrimp salad are feta cheese, goat cheese, and Parmesan cheese. You can also use cheddar cheese, but make sure it is sharp cheddar so it does not overwhelm the other flavors in the salad.
What Cheese Goes with Shrimp Scampi?
Since shrimp scampi is already quite rich and flavorful, you don’t need to pair it with an equally strong cheese. A light and fresh cheese like ricotta or mozzarella would be a good choice. You could also go for a more flavorful option like Parmesan or goat cheese.
What Cheese Goes with Shrimp? 10 Best Cheeses
- Sharp Cheddar
- Goat Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Pick your favorite kind of cheese from this list to pair with your shrimp meal.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!