If you’re wondering what cheese goes with Shiraz, you’re in the right place.
Shiraz is a red wine that pairs well with a variety of cheeses, from sharp cheddars to creamy blues.
In this blog post, I’ll share 10 of the best cheeses to pair with Shiraz, as well as some tips on how to choose the right cheese for your wine.
I’ll also share a few recipes for easy cheese boards that will impress your guests.
What Cheese Goes with Shiraz? 10 Best Cheeses
When you choose the right cheese to go with your Shiraz, it’s like getting the perfect pair of shoes to go with your outfit.
It can make all the difference in the world.
The right cheese can enhance the flavor of the Shiraz and make the experience that much better.
Here are 10 of the best cheeses to eat with Shiraz:
Cheddar is nutty, crumbly, and sharp—the perfect cheese to pair with a Shiraz.
The tannins in the wine will help to soften the sharpness of the cheese, while the acidity will bring out the nuttiness.
Pro Tip: When pairing cheddar with wine, go for a young, mild cheddar for a red wine like Shiraz, or an aged cheddar for a more robust wine.
- Cheddar and apple slices with a glass of Shiraz
- Cheddar grilled cheese sandwich with a cup of tomato soup
- Chedder and bacon bits sprinkled on top of a spinach salad
Gouda usually has a rich, nutty, caramelly taste (think butterscotch), which makes it a great match for Shiraz.
The cheese can help mellow out the tannins in the wine, and vice versa.
Pro Tip: If you’re looking for a more robust pairing, try a aged Gouda with an aged Shiraz.
- Gouda and Shiraz grilled cheese sandwich
- Wine and cheese fondue with Gouda and Shiraz
- Shiraz braised beef with Gouda mashed potatoes
Brie is nutty and fruity with a hint of buttery and earthy flavor, which makes it a great match for Shiraz.
The wine’s bold flavors will stand up to the cheese, and the two will complement each other nicely.
Pro Tip: Look for a Brie that is soft and creamy with a white rind. Avoid Bries that are hard or have a yellow rind, as they can be bitter.
Creative Ideas for Pairing:
- Pair Brie with Shiraz and some crusty bread for an easy appetizer.
- Make a Brie and Shiraz grilled cheese sandwich for a delicious twist on the classic.
- For a fun party dish, top Brie with Shiraz-soaked cherries and serve with crackers.
Camembert is mushroomy, eggy, garlicky, and nutty all at once, making it the perfect candidate for a glass of Shiraz.
The earthy flavors in the cheese will be brought out by the wine, and the creaminess of the cheese will help to soften the tannins in the wine.
Pro Tip: If you’re serving this as an appetizer, try pairing it with some crusty bread and a simple green salad.
- Camembert and Shiraz grilled cheese sandwich
- Camembert mac and cheese with a Shiraz reduction
- Grilled peaches with Camembert and a splash of Shiraz
Chèvre is usually soft, creamy, and spreadable (think: the consistency of cream cheese), with a slightly tangy, lemony flavor.
It’s a great cheese to pair with Shiraz because the acidity cuts through the wine’s sweetness and the creaminess pairs well with the red fruit flavors.
Pro Tip: When pairing wine and cheese, it’s always best to go for a milder cheese so that it doesn’t overpower the wine.
- Chèvre + Shiraz + Honey
- Chèvre + Shiraz + Grilled Peaches
- Chèvre + Shiraz + Prosciutto
Roquefort has a tingly pungent taste with a creamy texture, which makes it the perfect cheese to pair with Shiraz.
The pungency of the Roquefort will help cut through the sweetness of the fruit in the wine, and the creaminess will highlight the spice notes.
Pro Tip: If you want to really bring out the fruit flavors in your wine, try pairing it with a sweeter cheese like gorgonzola.
- Use Roquefort as a topping for grilled meats or vegetables
- Mix Roquefort into a savory omelette or quiche
- Serve Roquefort with fresh grapes or pears
Gruyère is known for its rich, creamy, salty, and nutty flavor profile, which makes it the perfect partner for a glass of Shiraz.
The sweetness of the wine will offset the saltiness of the cheese, while the bold flavors of both will complement each other perfectly.
Pro Tip: If you’re looking for a more unique pairing, try Gruyère with a sparkling Shiraz. The effervescence of the wine will help to cut through the richness of the cheese.
- Gruyère and Shiraz grilled cheese sandwich
- Wine and cheese fondue with Gruyère and Shiraz
- Shiraz braised beef with Gruyère mashed potatoes
Pecorino romano has a slightly tangy, almost spicy taste that is the perfect compliment to shiraz.
The sheep’s milk cheese also has a strong, salty flavor that can help to balance out a sweeter wine.
Pro Tip: Pecorino romano is a hard cheese, so be sure to shred or grate it before adding it to your dish.
- Add pecorino romano to a spinach and strawberry salad with a balsamic vinaigrette
- Make a quick pizza with store-bought dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella and pecorino romano
- Top roasted Brussels sprouts with shaved pecorino romano and freshly ground black pepper
Gorgonzola is slightly milder than other blue cheeses, making it a great choice for those who are new to blue cheese or are looking for a less intense flavor.
Its creaminess also pairs well with the bold flavors of Shiraz.
Pro Tip: If you want to really bring out the sweetness in your wine, try pairing it with honey or a sweet fruit jam.
- Gorgonzola and Fig Jam Crostini
- Grilled Cheese with Gorgonzola and Pear
- Gorgonzola Cheese Ball with Crackers and grapes
Rich, tangy, nutty, and sharp, Parmesan is a versatile cheese that goes well with a variety of wines.
The flavors in Shiraz, specifically pepper and spice, are complemented by the sharpness of Parmesan.
Pro Tip: If you want to add a little sweetness to the dish, try pairing Parmesan with a honeycomb.
- Parmesan and Shiraz Risotto
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Shiraz Reduction Sauce
- Shiraz Braised Short Ribs with Parmesan Grits
What Cheese Goes with Shrimp? 10 Best Cheeses
What Cheese Goes with Cauliflower? 9 Best Cheeses
What Cheese Goes with Salmon Patties? (8 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with Pumpkin Gnocchi? (9 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with Ranch Dressing? (9 Kinds of Cheese)
What Cheese Goes in Fettuccine Alfredo? (14 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes on Spaghetti Bolognese? (18 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes on Chicken Alfredo? (17 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes Good with Buffalo Chicken? (18 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with Cranberry Sauce? (15 Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with Shiraz? 10 Best Cheeses
- Choose any cheese from this list to pair with your wine.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!