If you’re wondering what to eat with roti bread, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I cover 8 of the best foods to eat with roti bread.
In a rush?
Here’s the short answer:
The best foods to eat with roti bread are stews, curries, and other wet dishes. Roti bread is also great for sopping up sauces and gravies. For a more substantial meal, try pairing roti bread with roasted meats or vegetables. You can also use it to make wraps or sandwiches.
Ready for even more?
Let’s jump right in.
What to Eat with Roti Bread? 8 Best Foods
Don’t settle for plain old roti bread when there are so many great foods that go with it.
It’s like watching a movie in black and white when you could be watching it in color.
The right foods can enhance the flavor of the roti bread and make the experience that much better.
Here are 8 of the best foods to eat with roti bread:
1. Any Type of Curry
I can list many kinds of curry that go well with roti bread.
It could be because they are both staples in Indian cuisine.
Or it might be the fact that the doughy texture of roti bread is the perfect vessel for sopping up all the delicious sauce.
But why does this particular combination work so well?
I think it has something to do with the fact that both curry and roti bread are complex dishes with a lot of flavor.
When you eat them together, you get a symphony of tastes and textures that is truly greater than the sum of its parts.
Here are some tips for how to make the perfect curry-and-roti pairing:
- Choose a curry that has a thick, rich sauce. This will help to prevent the roti from getting too soggy.
- If you’re using a pre-made curry paste, be sure to add extra vegetables or meat to bulk it up. Otherwise, it will be too watery and won’t stand up to the roti bread.
- When cooking your curry, don’t be afraid to experiment with different spices and flavors. The more complex the flavor profile, the better!
2. Chicken Tikka Masala
Ah, chicken tikka masala.
See Also: 10 Best Types of Rice For Tikka Masala
One of my all-time favorite dishes.
The combination of the juicy, flavorful chicken and the rich, creamy sauce is just heavenly.
And when you pair it with roti bread? Even better.
Here are a few tips for making the perfect chicken tikka masala:
- Be sure to marinate your chicken overnight in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and lemon juice. This will ensure that it’s nice and flavorful.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Then, cook the chicken on a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with foil for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make the sauce, sauté some onion and garlic in oil until softened; then add canned tomatoes, heavy cream, and a variety of spices. Let it all simmer until thickened—and enjoy!
3. Beef Stew
Beef stew is filling, hearty, and just the thing you need on a cold winter day.
It’s also delicious served with roti bread.
The combination of the beef stew and the roti bread is perfect because the roti soaks up all of the delicious gravy from the stew.
Plus, the two dishes complement each other perfectly in terms of flavor and texture.
Here are some tips for making beef stew:
- Use chuck roast or another cut of beef that’s high in fat content. The fat will render down as the stew cooks and add flavor and richness to the dish.
- Brown the beef before adding it to the stew pot. This will give it a nice flavor and color.
- Be patient! Stews take time to cook properly, so don’t be tempted to skimp on cooking time. plan for at least 2-3 hours of simmering time.
4. Vegetable Stew
If you don’t want to eat meat, but still want a hearty, filling meal, look no further than vegetable stew!
This dish is packed full of nutrients, and it’s easy to make vegan or vegetarian by simply omitting the meat.
Roti bread is the perfect accompaniment to this dish because it’s sturdy enough to stand up to the thick stew, but soft enough to soak up all the delicious flavors.
Plus, it’s a great way to get your daily dose of whole grains.
Here’s how to make the perfect vegetable stew:
- Start with a base of onion and garlic. Sauté until softened, then add in your favorite vegetables.
- If you’re using fresh vegetables, you’ll need to cook them longer than if you’re using frozen. Just keep an eye on them and add more time as needed.
- Once everything is cooked through, add some broth or water to thin out the stew to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with roti bread on the side for dipping, or crumble it on top of the stew for a little extra texture. Enjoy!
5. Lentil Soup
Lentil soup reminds me of my childhood.
My mom would make a big pot of it every week, and we would eat it with roti bread.
The soup was always so comforting and filling, and the bread was the perfect way to soak up all the deliciousness.
Here are some tips for making the perfect lentil soup:
- Soak your lentils overnight. This will help them cook faster and make them more digestible.
- Add plenty of spices! Lentils can be a bit bland on their own, so don’t be afraid to go heavy on the spices. I like to add cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder.
- Add some acidity at the end. A splash of lemon juice or vinegar will brighten up the flavors and make the soup more refreshing.
- Serve with roti bread! This is my favorite way to enjoy lentil soup. The bread soaks up all the deliciousness and makes every bite even better.
6. Tomato Soup
Who doesn’t like a warm bowl of tomato soup on a cold day?
It’s the perfect comfort food.
And it just so happens to be delicious with roti bread.
Here are some tips for making the perfect bowl of tomato soup:
- Start by sautéing some onions in a bit of oil until they’re softened.
- Add in canned tomatoes ( crushed or diced) and let them cook until they start to break down.
- Stir in some tomato paste, then add water or vegetable broth until the soup is the desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, and any other spices you like (I like to add a bit of cumin).
- Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes or so, then ladle into bowls and enjoy with a piece of roti bread!
7. Creamy Soup
How about choosing your favorite thick and creamy soup to have with roti bread?
The bread will help mop up every last drop of the soup, and the two together make a pretty filling meal.
Some soups that would go well with roti include:
- Tomato soup
- Cream of broccoli soup
- Potato leek soup
- Butternut squash soup
Here are some tips for making your soup even better:
- Add some chopped fresh herbs like parsley, thyme, or rosemary for extra flavor.
- For a bit of texture contrast, add some chopped nuts or croutons on top.
- If you want a heartier meal, stir in some cooked rice or quinoa.
Lastly, an American favorite: chili.
This hearty dish is usually made with ground beef, beans, tomatoes, and a variety of spices.
And it’s often served with roti bread.
So why pair these two dishes together?
Well, the roti bread is perfect for soaking up all the delicious juices from the chili.
Plus, the doughy texture of the roti contrasts nicely with the crunchy toppings (like onions or cheese) that are often added to chili.
Here are a few tips for making the perfect chili:
- Brown your ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat before adding any other ingredients. This will give your chili more flavor.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of beans! Black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans are all popular choices.
- Add some spice! Chili powder, cumin, and paprika are all great options. Start with a little bit and add more to taste.
- Tomatoes are key in this dish—they add both acidity and sweetness. I like to use diced tomatoes, but you could also use tomato sauce or even just a can of crushed tomatoes.
What To Eat With Rosemary Bread? 9 Best Foods
What To Eat With Potato Bread? 11 Best Foods
What To Serve With Monkey Bread? 10 Best Side Dishes
What To Eat With Milk Bread? 12 Best Side Dishes
What To Eat With Lebanese Bread? 8 Best Side Dishes
What To Eat With Lavash Bread? 10 Best Side Dishes
What to Eat with Kulcha Bread? 10 Best Side Dishes
What Bread to Serve with Antipasto Platter? 10 Best Breads
What Bread to Serve with Greek Salad? 10 Best Breads
What Bread to Serve with White Chicken Chili? 10 Best Breads
What to Eat with Roti Bread? 8 Best Foods
- Any Type of Curry
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Beef Stew
- Vegetable Stew
- Lentil Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Creamy Soup
- Choose any of these foods to serve with your roti bread.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!