When you’re not sure what to serve with cowboy casserole, go with a classic like mashed potatoes or a green vegetable.
But sometimes you want something different that will complement your meal without overshadowing it.
If you’re looking for some new ideas, here are 10 delicious side dishes to serve with cowboy casserole.
What to Serve with Cowboy Casserole? 10 Best Side Dishes
It’s incredible what the right side dish can do for a casserole.
It can take the dish from good to great, or even from great to amazing.
When it comes to cowboy casserole, there are a number of great side dishes that can help to round out the flavors and make the dish even more enjoyable.
Here are 10 of the best side dishes for cowboy casserole:
1. Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Ah, the cheesy scalloped potato. Is there anything more comforting?
This dish is the perfect sidekick to a hearty casserole.
The creamy potatoes and sharp cheese balance out the richness of the casserole, and the crispy top is always a welcome addition.
- For extra cheesy goodness, top with shredded cheese before baking.
- For a crispy top, broil for a few minutes at the end of cooking.
- To make ahead, assemble everything except for the milk and butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready to bake, add the milk and butter and proceed with the recipe as usual.
2. Crispy Baked Zucchini Chips
How about something that’s easy to make, low-calorie, and actually tastes good?
These zucchini chips are all of those things.
They’re the perfect side dish to a casserole because they add a nice crunch without being too heavy.
Plus, they’re a great way to sneak in some extra veggies.
- For extra crispy chips, pat the zucchini slices dry with a paper towel before baking.
- If you want to add some flavor, try sprinkling the zucchini chips with Parmesan cheese or your favorite seasoning blend before baking.
3. Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
I’m a total garlic lover, so anything that has garlic Parmesan is already a winner in my book.
But what really makes this dish amazing is how crispy the Brussels sprouts get in the oven.
They almost taste like little chips!
This dish is the perfect side to any casserole because it’s packed with flavor and texture.
- To get extra crispy Brussels sprouts, make sure they’re dry before you roast them. I like to pat them down with a paper towel before I season them.
- If you want to save some time, you can buy pre-shredded Parmesan cheese.
4. Garlic Knots
These little knots of garlic-y, butter-y goodness are the perfect side to any casserole.
They’re simple to make, and they add a touch of elegance to any dish.
Serve them alongside your favorite casserole, or use them as a base for a main course.
- To get that perfect garlic flavor, use fresh garlic cloves.
- For an extra cheesy kick, top your knots with grated Parmesan cheese before baking.
- If you want a crispy knot, brush the outside with olive oil before baking.
5. Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Bring in the kids on this one – they’ll love mashing the potatoes!
These are a delicious, crispy and comforting side dish that can be paired with just about any casserole.
I like to add a little bit of garlic powder, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese to mine, but you can really tailor them to your liking.
- For extra crispy potatoes, bake them on a wire rack.
- If you’re short on time, you can microwave the potatoes before smashing them.
6. Cheesy Corn Fritters
Fritters are great because they can be made ahead of time and reheated, making them perfect for a busy weeknight.
These corn fritters are no exception – they’re cheesy, slightly sweet, and have a nice crunch from the corn.
They also freeze well, so I always make a double batch and save some for later.
- If you’re short on time, you can use frozen corn instead of fresh. Just be sure to thaw it first and drain any excess water before adding it to the batter.
- Serve these fritters with a dipping sauce like ranch or honey mustard.
7. Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
This is a great side dish to serve with cowboy casserole for many reasons.
- One, it has cheese and who doesn’t love cheese?
- Two, the cauliflower soaks up all of the delicious flavors of the casserole while still maintaining a bit of a crunch.
- Three, it’s a great way to sneak some veggies into your meal.
- Try using different types of cheese for a unique flavor.
- Add some chopped bacon or ham for extra flavor and texture.
- Top with a breadcrumb and Parmesan cheese mixture for an extra crispy topping.
8. Roasted Green Beans
I love leftovers, but sometimes they can get a little boring.
Roasted green beans are the perfect way to spruce up your casserole leftovers.
They add a fresh and crispy element that contrasts well with the creamy casserole.
Plus, they’re healthy and only take a few minutes to make.
- Add some garlic to the green beans for an extra flavorful punch.
- If you want to get really fancy, you can drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top of the green beans before serving.
9. Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Got a sweet tooth or two?
These carrots are for you!
They’ve got a lovely brown sugar glaze that is both sweet and savory.
I like to serve them alongside a hearty casserole, like my famous chicken pot pie.
The sweetness of the carrots helps to balance out the savory flavors in the casserole.
- Try roasting your carrots before glazing them. It’ll bring out their natural sweetness and make them even more delicious!
- Not a fan of brown sugar? You can use honey or maple syrup instead.
10. Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes Carrots and Zucchini
If you want people to be FULL after dinner, make this side dish.
It’s packed with potatoes, carrots and zucchini, so there’s no way anyone is leaving the table hungry.
Plus, it’s got garlic and herbs for flavor.
This dish is the perfect accompaniment to a casserole because it rounds out the meal nicely.
- Cut the vegetables into even pieces so they cook evenly.
- If you’re short on time, you can roast the veggies in a 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
What to Serve with Spanish Chicken Casserole? 8 Best Sides
What to Serve with Lobster Casserole? 8 Best Side Dishes
What to Serve with Farmer’s Casserole? 10 Best Sides
What to Serve with Mexican Casserole? 10 Best Side Dishes
What To Serve With Ham and Potato Casserole? 10 Best Sides
What to Serve with Taco Casserole? 10 Best Side Dishes
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Soup? 13 Best Side Dishes
What to Serve with Strawberry Spinach Salad? 10 Best Sides
What to Serve with Strawberry Sorbet? 10 Best Sides
What to Serve with Cowboy Casserole? 10 Best Side Dishes
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Chips
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Knots
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Corn Fritters
- Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Roasted Green Beans
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes Carrots and Zucchini
- Choose any side dish from this list to serve with your cowboy casserole.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!